My favorite new site on the blogosphere is Closet Cooking, a blog by a Canadian guy who does great food from his closet sized kitchen. His photography is fabulous – you can almost taste whatever dish he dreams up. Check him out. If you subscribe to his newsletter,you will receive his E-book for free www.closetcooking.com
Or how about the jalapeno cornbread grilled cheese above? I’ve got some frozen cornbread and I’m trying it tonight with Brenda’s home-made pickled jalapenos
The basic idea behind this grilled cheese is quite simple and it started out with just adding guacamole to a grilled cheese but with the success of combining salty bacon-y magnificence with cool and creamy guacamole I could not resist adding a few slices of bacon to the sandwich. I also had some leftover corn tortilla chips from dipping on the weekend so I decided to crumble a few of them and add them to the sandwich for texture.
Like all grilled cheese sandwiches this one is pretty easy to make though you want to try to remember to pull the guacamole out of the fridge early so that it can come up to room temperature before adding it to the sandwich. Having all of the ingredients of the sandwich at room temperature is going to help ensure that the cheese melts into ooey gooey goodness so pull the cheese and butter out of the fridge at the same time as the guacamole. The only real problem with this guacamole grilled cheese sandwich is that it can be a bit messy to eat but I was not really thinking about that as I wolfed mine down. This sandwich is certainly one amazing way to enjoy any leftover guacamole and it is even worth making a fresh batch of guacamole just to make some grilled cheese!
Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A buttery and toasty grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with cool and creamy guacamole, crispy bacon and melted jack and cheddar cheese. The crunchy crumbled tortilla chips in this grilled cheese pay tribute to the classic combination of tortilla chips and guacamole dips.
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 slices sour dough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup jack and cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons guacamole, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon tortilla chips, crumbled (optional)
- Cook the bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese onto the unbuttered side of one slice of bread followed by the guacamole, bacon, tortilla chips, the remaining cheese and finally top with the remaining slice of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill over medium heat until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.