I’m not really crazy about figs, but my friend has a huge fig tree in his back yard and he invited Marie and Judy and me to come over and do some pickin’ after mass tomorrow.
Since I’m hot for anything free, I guess we will do some pickin’ even though we will melt in the heat which is predicted to be 100 plus – REAL temp. Besides one fig has only 37 calories and they are so sweet! But they also have 10 carbs per fig and I’m watching carbs these days. I might as well have a bag of M & Ms.
Yvonne – who declined the offer to go with us, but wants some figs – told me what to do with them. It’s a kind of cheaters recipe for strawberry preserves. She also said she sometimes just boils them in water and puts them into jars. Refrigerated or frozen, she claims they are almost as good as fig preserves. One problem – you must peel them.
FIG STRAWBERRY JAM
3 c. fresh, peeled figs (mashed slightly)
2 c. sugar (I wonder if you can use Spenda?)
2 (3 oz.) pkg. strawberry Jello
1/2 c. water
1/2 slice lemon
5 (8 oz.) jars
Mix all ingredients in large pot. Cook on high heat until mixture comes to rolling boil. Cook on medium heat 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Pour into sterilized hot jars and seal.
Considering the health benefits of figs, I may have to develop a taste for them despite the carbs:
- The rich potassium content of figs and the dietary fiber, makes them very effective for weight management program. I like that!
- Consuming figs helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer. Really?
- Calcium and potassium present in figs prevent bone thinning and help to promote bone density.
- Tryptophan, present in figs, induces good sleep,
- Eating figs relieves fatigue and boosts memory power.
- The soluble fiber, called pectin, in figs helps in reducing blood cholesterol.
- Figs are rich in calcium and are excellent calcium alternatives for people who are allergic to dairy products.
- Consuming figs also helps in aiding digestion and taming various stomach and bowel-related problems.
- Figs promote the overall well-being of an individual and are excellent aphrodisiacs. I’m sold. I’m going fig pickin’.