Though I’m partial to locally owned eateries, one of my favorite restaurants is the chain -Applebees. They are consistently good and you can order items that compute your weight watchers points for you. Two menu items that I particularly love are the Veggie Patch Pizza and the side orders of green beans (when they have them).
I must tell you that I detest the Southern way of cooking green beans until they are limp and lifeless. Applebee’s on the other hand introduced me to their crisp but flavorful green beans, and changed the way I view vegetables. I went on line to see exactly how they cook them and found a treasure trove of recipes from some of the country’s best restaurants.
Apparently they are free for the downloading – thought you might want to know. Sign on to www. tasces.com for more information on Copycat Restaurant Recipes. To read this “copycat cookbook” on line you’ll need to download and install the free recipe software Shop’NCook. There are hundreds of restaurants included.
ALERT – I downloaded all of Applebee’s recipes yesterday but today note that the site is down or unavailable. I’m working to find you another link – stay tuned. I’ll get back to you.
I’m waiting for the pizza to bake in my oven as I type out this post. I used frozen spinach and artichoke dip sold in the freezer case under the TGI Friday’s label. You might want to peruse the other restaurants for some of their secret recipes. I don’t think this will threaten them in any way. I’d still rather let someone else do the cooking.
Applebee’s Veggie Patch Pizza
1 flour tortilla – (10″ dia)
Butter-flavor oil as needed
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Granulated garlic to taste
Salt to taste
4 oz Hot Spinach And Artichoke Dip (see recipe)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbl shredded parmesan-Romano cheese
- In a hot saute pan or on a griddle, place sliced mushrooms and butter-flavor oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic. Cook until hot.
- Brush tortilla with oil and place on griddle. Spread Hot Spinach And Artichoke Dip evenly on top of tortilla to within 1/2 inch of the edge.
- Top with mushrooms, when cooked, Italian seasoning and diced tomatoes. Then, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over pizza and remove from griddle and place on a pizza pan in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven when cheese is melted and top with shredded parmesan–Romano cheese.
- Cut into wedges and serve.