Aha! My friends make fun of me for barreling up a hill, then taking my foot off the gas and coasting down the other side. It confuses the heck out of people following me, but hey – gasoline is more expensive than prime rib these days. Now I see that some expert recommends that very thing..
Here are a few quick tips to help you conserve on fuel
Tips to help you save on gas
- Walk more to save on gas. Well duh, sometimes we overlook the obvious;
- Car pool to save on gas. Don’t think this needs much explanation;
- Get an oil change to save on gas. Your engine will run more efficiently;
- Turn off the air conditioner to save on gas. Most cars will gain at least 2 to 3 miles per gallon if the A/C is turned off. Don’t try that if you live in the south, or you’ll be toast!
- Properly inflate your tires to save on gas. Tires that aren’t inflated properly cause poor gas mileage
- Fill your car in the morning to save on gas. Gas expands as it gets warm so less fits in the tank in the warmer parts of the day. Well, I never heard of that;
- Coast to save on gas. Old technique that still works. When you can coast instead of using the accelerator, do so. See?! Makes sense to me.
Today I bought gas at $3.55 a gallon. I’m driving to Nashville for the weekend and I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be cheaper to fly! It’s going to be a long, hot trip!